Weekday mornings are usually super busy and always put your time management skills to a tough test. Dragging oneself out of the bed, deciding what to have for breakfast and lunch and then cooking it, packing the lunch box, getting ready for the office, surfing through the Delhi Times…all this against the ever ticking clock could be quite overwhelming!!
While the lunch menu decision could still be an easy bet, as one always has the option of sticking to the safe ‘dal, sabzi and chapati’ combo, deciding what to cook for breakfast can be quiet a task….there are limited options, even more limited time, however, the importance of having a good, filling and yummy breakfast cannot be undermined.
I will blog quick , tasty and healthy breakfast recipes for all you busy people; it will hopefully make the morning grind a little easier and will give you that one extra minute to browse through your horoscope for the day before you zoom off!!
- 1 bowl vermicelli
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 6-7 french beans, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/2 tsp chana dal (optional)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (optional)
- 2 tbsp roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilly powder
- 6-7 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp refined oil
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and roast the vermicelli till it turns golden brown in color (assuming you bought the un-roasted one) and keep it aside
- In the same pan, heat some more oil, add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds; once they splutter add the curry leaves
- Add finely chopped onion and green chillies and stir till the onion turn transparent/pinkish brown
- Next, add the tomatoes, coriander, red chilly powder and salt; cook for some more time, till the tomatoes are tender
- Now introduce the carrot and beans in the pan, cover and cook till the vegetables are half cooked
- Add vermicelli and two bowls of water, stir carefully not to break the vermicilli, cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes or till tender
- Crush the peanuts coarsely and add to the vermicelli
- Squeeze half a lemon’s juice, mix well and serve hot!